One fear that many new homeowners have is something bad happening to their newly bought homes. The most devastating cause would be a fire. Fires can be very dangerous and destructive. There were around 243 deaths in the UK because of fires from 2019 to 2020 alone. But what is worse is the increase in incidents, with half-a-million fires in England alone. If you recently bought a house, here are some things you can do to ensure it is safe from fires.
Get A Home Inspection
One of the first things you should do is get a home inspection. A professional home inspector can go through your potential home and identify many of the things that can go wrong or need fixing. While their focus in general, they will look at various potential fire hazards. There are two main areas where it can be. For one, your furnace can be faulty. Old furnaces either have difficulty lighting up or have weaknesses that can cause leaks. These leaks can end up in flames.
Additionally, electrical fires are a common sight. Faulty or damaged wiring can cause a spark that will cover the entire house. In the UK, this is so common that it is a requirement that houses need an electrical inspection condition report every ten years for residential homes, during five years for rentals. They can also be required when a new tenant moves in. Once the inspector finishes, listen to their reports and take action. Besides that, your clothes dryer can be a fire hazard if you’re not careful. The heat drying sparks and lint from clothes can cause a fire to start if you’re not careful.
Install Smoke Alarms And Fire Extinguishers
Many fires can be prevented if you catch them early enough. A small spark or flame can be easily put out with a few blasts from a fire extinguisher. The trouble is detecting the fire before it spreads. This is where smoke alarms come in. Smoke detectors can sniff out the first signs of fire, which is smoke. If it starts beeping, you should immediately check which room the noise is coming from with a fire extinguisher. If you’re lucky, you catch a flame before it becomes uncontrollable. Additionally, you can invest extra in the smoke alarms and have them detect carbon monoxide, too. That way, they can serve double duty.
Remove Flammable Materials From The House
While it may seem common sense, a lot of people still end up storing highly flammable material in their main home. For example, you might have some gas stashed in the back of your garage as an emergency stash. But other substances can cause a fire if you’re not careful. Household cleaners can go up in flames if they are stored near heat sources. Your cosmetics can also be dangerous if near an open flame or hear. For cosmetics, store them in a cool, dry place. But for the less used material, it might be a good idea to have a shed in the backyard to store it. At the very least, it is separate from your main house.
Be Careful About Keeping Warm
If you live in a cold climate, there will be times when you are tempted to warm yourself up in various ways. There is the usual turning up the thermostat. But not everyone has good heating. An amusing solution that many have chosen to use is a space heater. They are great for heating a room that is not covered by your heating and is portable. But if you are not careful, they can cause fires. Take simple precautions like turning it off before going to sleep or keeping anything flammable away from it.
Teach Everyone In The House About Fire Safety
Whether it is friends or family you share your home with, everyone should get some training about fire safety. Children should be the primary focus. They love to play with things and can get curious. Whether it is playing with matches or messing around with electrical wiring, This can end up causing a fire. As for adults, tell them how to turn off the stove and gas when not in use. Additionally, you should teach your family some emergency responses to fire. This includes knowing where the exits are and what to do in case of fire.
House fires can be caused by many things. There are a lot of potential fire hazards in any home. It is your responsibility as the owner to ensure that none of them exists in your home or you have precautions against them. It will only take some time and money, but it can be worth it.